The Unadorned

My literary blog to keep track of my creative moods with poems n short stories, book reviews n humorous prose, travelogues n photography, reflections n translations, both in English n Hindi.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Creative Sans Nicotine

===========================================
Oh! My slim white beauty
covering your blushing face
with a red scarf,
You have dawned in my life
as a lovely cigarette.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the concluding stanza from my poem "The Escapade" (In Harness, 2004, ISBN 81-8157-183-5). In a way, it had surged out of me as a tribute to my old addiction of smoking, something that remained with me so faithfully for twenty-odd years. By the time I finally gave it up, people had already started looking upon me as a one-pack-a-day-and-a-half-at-night fellow smoking for no other need than bare sustenance. Poor me! But then again, I had learnt the etiquettes of smoking: generosity in offering a fag to a friend when lighting one for myself, courtesy of waiting for the host to light his cigarette before lighting mine, of seeking permission if I was to smoke at other's place, so on. I had, by then, grown so used to the object that I had long ceased to persuade myself every time I craved an additional fag. With uncanny memory I was able to locate a misplaced fag from unusual places like bookshelves and kitchen receptacles.

Funnily, my choice of friends was on the basis of brands of cigarettes they smoked. 'The non-smokers are smug fools deceiving themselves for no great reasons,' I used to think. That was not all. I had even picked up right euphemisms for smoking; say while I was smoking, I was only 'rewarding myself with a fag after a spell of work' or 'trying to connect to Lord Shiva through a smoke' and the like. In fact my concentration used to be spanned from a fag to fag and neural threads were conditioned to unwind with nicotine wafting from lip to nostril and then to brain.

I remember one occasion when I was tested by an OB professor who was hell bent on proving a point: we tend to see what we want to and skip what we dislike. I was paired with a non-smoker. Each of us was given a pack of Wills Navy Cut cigarette and then asked to see that for half-a-minute to recollect immediately thereafter what all we had seen. Lo, I said everything but not the statutory warning printed on the pack and my partner opened his list with the one I skipped. As usual, I had only scathing criticism for the professor for treating us as guinea pigs for his blessed experiment in the class. 'Wouldn't he need real-life experiments, had he to teach sex education?' I had pooh-poohed his experiment saying something like that. All this was because of cigarette-I had no patience to withstand that and anybody criticising cigarette was sure to enrage me.

During the twenty-odd years I continued smoking, I had always chosen not to do that in front of people I respected, say my parents and my teachers. In time I studied as much or even more than those people did, started living away from them and independently, acquired family and a social niche that was unlike those respectable souls used to operate from, but then I had ensured that I did not smoke before my parents. It was a taboo, and like those surrounding sex and love affairs, I was not supposed to smoke before them and lead them to a cultural shock. Now that my parents are no more there to supervise me and that I have left smoking for last twelve years and, more significantly, that I'm myself a parent, I feel I should not have been so secretive about it. My parents were paan-chewers and they were doing that with aplomb. With no fear to hide they were even sometimes putting forward an argument or two in favour of paan-chewing, say it is offered to Gods or it helps digestion. But smoking was a taboo as much as drinking was. Should I treat I was just a coward? Or did I try to be considerate enough not to subject those old-timers to cultural shock?

If I'm now asked to tell how I started smoking and then how I was able to leave it, I wouldn't be able to say it precisely. The earliest I can remember is that I used to actually hate cigarettes. Not only that the initial puffs had always come with bouts of incontrollable coughs, there were occasions when I had retched aloud after smoking; I had no knowledge then how a brand of cigarette tested differently from the others. Despite everything, I continued-for no other reason than the thrill of doing something different, the comfort of getting accepted. Stylish friends had smoked to look smart and it had appealed me. Getting smart could be so easy!

The length of a blog post would not allow me to recount my entire experience of smoking days, but before concluding this snippet, let me mention something important. I could be more creative and more focussed only after I left smoking. All my writing success (if, it has to be coined as such) is after I just left smoking. Now when I try to reason out how actually this could happen, I get the answer something like this: 'If I could leave smoking, I can even write a book'. After all, writing requires sustaining the resolve as much as it demands of a smoker to go out of the clutches of nicotine.

Doesn't it hint at the inscrutable dictum of creativity: 'The only rule is that there's no rule'.
___________________________________________
By
A. N. Nanda
Patna
24-1-2009
___________________________________________

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Puja Nanda said...

Hi Daddy!
Surprised?!

Well, you should be. I would be that last person you would have expected to read this snippet of yours and next to last wen it came to leaving a comment. Its not as long as you snippet but it can be as huge as your imagination can lead you:
"We are so proud of you to have done this!"
Regards,
Puja, Bob & Pop! :-)

3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said! Love your posted stanza and completely explained post. Please feel free to visit my blog at http://www.yourstrulypoetry.wordpress.com
I would love to have some of your work my website if you wish

10:41 AM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

Thanks, Puja, for really surprising me by dropping in and, more so, by leaving so sweet comments.

Thanks, Hina, for reading my blog and leaving encouraging comments. I have gone through some of the excerpts of your poems in the site address of Xlibris and liked them. Keep it up.

Nanda

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Nanda,
This is Harsha here.
Felt great when I saw your name in my blog today.
Was jst goin thru this post of yours and felt great because the best part about is that generally a writer actually gets lost in a single driving factor unable to see the other side.
But as this post I would aptly say that you have actually took the euphony as well as cacophony with equal justice.And the best part is when you see so much written just on fag stub(thats wat I call creativity).

I wud like to say 1 more thing:
CIGARATTE STUB-"the only place where the starting itself is the end".

Harsha

9:27 PM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

"The only place where starting iitself is the end"--depends! how we view things.

Thanx, Harsa for dropping in.

Nanda

4:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Had a very interesting read. I had of course immensely enjoyed your "Remix of the orchid". Its great to see you have kept the creative juices flowing. So many of us have allowed the spark within to die out. Keep it up Sir.
Very nice of you to have invited me to your blog. Will visit you off and on.

2:00 AM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

Thanks Madhumita,

I've always valued friendly encouragements. In fact, that's something an author should really work hard to achieve, everything else can be incidental.

Nanda

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home