The Unadorned

My literary blog to keep track of my creative moods with poems n short stories, book reviews n humorous prose, travelogues n photography, reflections n translations, both in English n Hindi.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My Speech

==========================================
On 15-09-2009, "नई धारा" the sixty-year old Hindi literary magazine of Patna had organised a function to introduce me to some Hindi short-story writers of repute at Patna. It was quite an inspiring experience to me to see the stalwarts generously praising my stories from my book "विरासत" . Among them I can recall a few names: Shri Harish Pathak, the noted Hindi Story Writer and the Editor of the Rashtriya Sahara, Dr. Ramsovit Prasad Singh, the Director of Sinha Library, Shri Samuel Ahmed, the noted Urdu and Hindi fiction writer, Shri Ram Yatan Singh, Dr. Usha Kiran Khan, Dr. Jitendra Sahay, Shri Madhukar Singh, Shri Braj Kishore Pathak, Dr. Kalnath Mishra, Dr. Shaileshwar Sati, Dr. Asha Singh, Dr. Sambhu Sharan Sinha, Mr Rajesh Shukla. I was called upon to say something and I was ready with a prepared speech. After reading it out, I left the microphone to the literary people present there to deliberate. The next day's newspapers of the city published the news. I could collect copies of at least three of them, the Rashtriya Sahara, the Hindustan, the Dainik Jagaran. They had published the news in substantial detail with the photograph of the function. I thought I should publish my speech in my blog for whatever it is worth.
============================================
सुधीवृन्द

मेरे लिए यह बेहद खुशी का मौका है कि मेरी किताब "विरासत" पर विचार देने हेतु आज इतने विद्वान यहाँ पधारे हैं। जाने-अनजाने में मैंने कहानियाँ अवश्य लिख डाली पर अभी भी डर मेरा पीछा नहीं छोड़ता। डर इसलिए है कि मैंने प्रयोगशाला में जो नतीजा एक बार देख लिया है, क्या फिर उसे दोहरा सकूँगा? खैर, मुझे यह भूलना नहीं चाहिए कि मैं कोई वैज्ञानिक प्रयोग नहीं कर रहा हूँ, बल्कि कहानी ही लिख रहा हूँ।
जाने-माने कथाकार श्रीमान रस्किन बांड ने कहीं एक बार कहा था कि लेखक दिखना नहीं चाहिए; सिर्फ लेखक की कृति ही पढ़ी जानी चाहिए। खैर, बांड साहेब को यह बात भी मालूम होगी-जो दिखता है वह बिकता है।
फिर, लेखक के पास कहने की काबिलियत हो, यह भी ज़रूरी नहीं। उसे हमेशा डर सताता रहता है कि उसने लिख कर अपने लिए जो भी नाम कमाया, बस एक ही उदगार में वह कहीं समाप्त न हो जाए।
लेखक दिखेगा नहीं, बोलेगा नहीं, तो फिर उसका क्या काम है? लिखो और भूल जाओ? समझने दो पाठक को जो समझना है? भला, आजकल के जमाने में कोई कुछ भी बनाए, उसके लिए वह एक साल या उससे अधिक अवधि की गारंटी तो देता है न? सो लेखक को भी उत्पादनौपरांत तमाम काम करने चाहिए, जैसे कि अगर कोई उसके लेख को समझ नहीं पाता है तो लेखक ख़ुद जा कर उसे समझाए। उपभोक्ता सर्वोपरि--क्या यह उसूल साहित्य के क्षेत्र में लागू नहीं होना चाहिए? भाई, वो जमाना चला गया जब लेखक यह कह कर भाग जाता था, "स्वांत: सुखाय...."
मेरे सामने दूसरा सवाल यह है कि लेखक किस हद तक एकांत में रहे और किस हद तक मिले-जुले? जब महाकवि जयदेव यह तय नहीं कर पाए थे कि श्री राधा का पैर क्या भगवान श्री कृष्ण के सर पर होने चाहिए, तो भगवान ने स्वयं आ कर इस दुविधा को मिटाया था और लिख दिया, "स्वरगरल खंडनं मम सिरसी मंडनं देही पदपल्लवमुदारम"। आजकल भगवान के लिए हम सब मिल कर इतने सारे समस्याएँ बटोर लिए हैं कि बेचारे के पास इतने समय है कहाँ कि वह कवि-लेखकों की ज़रूरत पर आएँ और उनके हाथ पकड़ कर दिव्य रचनाएँ लिखवा दें । तो फिर लेखकगण एकांत में बैठ कर सिर्फ़ प्रेरणा की टोकरी ढ़ोने से काम कैसे बनेगा?
सो लेखक को बाहर जाना चाहिए, पर किस हद तक? क्या वह केवल इर्द-गिर्द टहले और जब कुछ मतलब की चीज़ मिल जाए तो उसे समेट ले? या उससे ज्यादा चक्कर लगाए ताकि उसे कोई कदरदान मिल जाए? या उससे भी अधिक, जैसे कि सक्रियतावाद यानी कि आक्टिभिजिम की उबलती हुई कढाई में डुबकी लगाए? देखिए, "महाजन: येन गत: स: पन्था"। मतलब, वही कहिए जो बड़े लोगों ने कहा या बड़े लोगों को भाया। अगर भारत के बारे में कहना है तो, इसकी गरीबी के बारे में कहिए, "The Area of Darkness", या यहाँ के मदारियों के बारे में, इसके सिवाय और कुछ नहीं कहिए क्योंकि विदेश में यह पढ़ा नहीं जाएगा। अगर ख़ुद को प्रगतिशील होने का दर्जा दिलाना है तो आज के किसी ताज़ा "ism" को अपनाइए, इससे रचनात्मक ख्याति अपने-आप बढ़ जाएगी। सो बाहर जानेका मतलब पहले से ही तय हो जाना चाहिए--क्या ख़ुद से कुछ पल के लिए बाहर हो जाना है, जैसे शंकराचार्य ने एक बार किया था, या बाहर का समवेत गान में ऐसे शरीक होना है जिसे हम आज की दुनिया का तकाजा मानते हैं।
फिर एक सवाल। कुछ नया लिखा जाए, पर कैसे? इस बात पर मुझे एक और बात याद आ रही है? एक बार जावेद अख्तर साहेब ने व्यंग से ही कहा था कि फिल्मों के लिए लिखने वाले कुछ ऐसा लिखें कि वह बिल्कुल नया हो पर वह पहले से परखा गया भी हो। बात तो वही निकली न? ऐसा लिखा जाए कि लोग उसे पहले से ही जानते हों, जैसे कि, "Slumdog Millionaire" । उसे सिर्फ़ "The Millionaire" कहा जाता तो क्या बात नहीं बनती? खैर, लोग अब तक भूलें नहीं हैं कि एक ज़माने में हमें कुत्तों के बराबर का दर्जा नसीब था और आज उन लोगों के सामने जाने के लिए हमें जानवर के खाल में ही होना चाहिए, जिस्म पर विष्ठा का लेप भी होना चाहिए। और क्या?
हो सकता है, इस दुनिया में कुछ नया नहीं है, तमाम चीज़ पहले से ही मौजूद हैं। लिखने के मामले में हम सिर्फ़ विधाएँ बनाते हैं। पद्य थे, फिर गद्य आ गए और बड़े-छोटे में फर्क करते-करते हम विधाओं की सीमांकन करते गए। अब तक थके नहीं। गद्य को पद्य कह कर उसे आधुनिक बना दिया, पर गौर करने पर यह तो सदियों पुरानी विधा ही मालूम पड़ती है। मैं दंडी द्वारा रचित "दस कुमार चरित" से पड़ता हूँ, "कुमारा: माराभिरामा रामादौ पुरुषा: रुषाभष्मीकृतरयो रयोगोपहसितसमीरणा रणाभिजानेन अभ्युदय स्म"। सो हमलोग आज आधुनिक कविता में जो अंदरूनी तुकबंदी यानी internal rhyming की बात करते हैं, वह तो ईसापूर्व दूसरी सदी में भी थी और गद्य के रूप में ही थी।
सो क्या मैं इसे मानूँ कि नया कुछ नहीं होता है, नया का मतलब पुराना ही होता है?
अगर साहित्य इंसानों के द्वारा है और इंसानों के लिए है, तो पहले से तय हो जाना चाहिए कि क्या इंसान सचमुच प्रगति कर रहा है? फिर हमें जवाब मिल जाएगा, क्या साहित्य की भी प्रगति हो रही है या नहीं। बड़े लोग यह मानते हैं कि हाँ, इंसान प्रगति कर रहा है। डायनौसोर जैसे इंसान की समाप्ति नहीं होगी चूँकि इसके पास बुद्धि है। वह अतिमानव का रूप लेने जा रहा है और इस प्रकार उसे बीमारी, तनाव, भय और तमाम अनिश्चितताओं पर विजय हासिल होने वाली है। ज़मीनी हकीक़त क्या सचमुच ऐसी है? सबको आज एटमी हथियार चाहिए, सभी चाहते हैं कि हम शान्ति की तरफदारी करेंगे तब, जब और लोग हमें सबूत दिखाएं कि उन्होंने भी शान्ति को अंगीकृत कर लिया हैं। क्या लगता नहीं कि एक दिन कुछ न कुछ अनहोनी ऐसे ही घट जाएगी?
अंत में कवि T. S. Elliot की उक्ति को उद्धृत करता हूँ,
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper

============================================
By
A. N. Nanda
Patna
17-09-2009
============================================

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous M Jha said...

Dear Mr Nand

My apologies for encroaching upon your valuable time. I just couldn’t help it when I went through your book “Virasat” which I chanced to see lying unclaimed on the floor of our local post office which runs in my building. I leafed through it and immediately claimed to borrow it from the Postmaster, but now he wouldn’t part with it unless I paid him Rs.100/- for it. So did I and the book was mine to read it at my own time and pace. Very soon I found out that I didn’t have to regret my decision. I am not qualified enough to write a review of a literary creation. I am simply trying t put my own views and experience :

While reading this book, I kept on wondering how did you do it, being such a busy person as you must be ? But then, I knew creativity isn’t constrained by time and circumstances. I finished the first story and was tempted to read the next one and then the next one and so it went on till I finished the whole book, admitting to myself all the way how well you have plotted your stories out of the mundane activities of a postal department. Our professor of Creative Writing classes always used to say, “to narrate means to recite or to tell, but to create is to bring into being from nothing”. How you have been able to inspire life and interest into the nondescript people and activities is something possible only of a master craft man, who, apart from being skilled in the art of writing, not only sees; but also observes, for few people write so well that they can sell a story written around a character or theme only. Your readers become emotionally and mentally involved with your characters. It’s nice to see your characters in ‘Virasat’ emerging out of conflicts and thus securing reader’s sympathy and love. The stories have a ring of truth in them. You have been able to write convincingly, your locations and settings are well planned around postal activities which you seem to know like the palm of your hand. That may be very natural for a writer who heads such a department, but then it has gone a long way in planning your material sufficiently within your own experience and understanding so that you have been able to write with great conviction. Every scene is like a dream picture, growing out of actual experience. Simple, beautiful stories with no complexity of plot. The stories published in this book are the “less obviously plotted” stories type, which is the trend of the day. The art of opening and closing being the essence of such stories, has been well managed - while the opening intrigues the reader immediately, the closing leaves him fully satisfied. I hope the same goes for your novel, too.

I am raring to read your “Remix of Orchid” and “In Harness” which I am sure to get one of these days from the Writers Workshop, Calcutta through one of my literary friends. As to your book, the “Remix of Orchid, the foreword by Ruskin Bond”, my favourite writer, who was recently here in Calcutta on the launch of a childrens’ book, makes it more compelling for me to read that book of yours, I must admit.


- M Jha, Mob: 09830054185
Last but not the least, I take the opportunity of congratulating you profusely on writing such a beautiful book in our language. It has enriched our literature. We expect many more of your ramblings in times to come. Kindly keep it up. Are you writing any thing new? My literary friend circle will be very glad to know of it. Aren’t you thinking of getting ‘Virasat’ translated into English.? If so, please let us know.

With kind regards and best wishes,

11:55 AM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

Should I tell how I feel going through your comments? Yes, you should believe me: it's like getting a surprise announcement that I've been selected for some award--the name could be anything respectable. In fact, for a writer, it is soul-satisfying to get a feedback that he has been understood, whether it is in the form of an expert discovering things hidden in the text or a general reader appreciating the plot and style of the stuff.

Very soon I'll be contacting you, now that you've given me your mobile number. Looking forward to it...till my current drudgery leaves me alone for a few hours.

Oh yes, I've two projects on hand: one, "The Roadshow", a first-person narrative cum short story that is almost complete; the other, a short story collection in Hindi in which I completed my 18th story this morning. Let me see how they ultimately shape.

Thanks, Mr Jha, you made my day.

Nanda

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home