The Unadorned

My literary blog to keep track of my creative moods with poems n short stories, book reviews n humorous prose, travelogues n photography, reflections n translations, both in English n Hindi.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Lost Birds


_________________________________
I'm happy to find sparrows [गौरैया] in Shimla and they remind me of my childhood days. They have disappeared from almost everywhere except a few lucky places. Shimla is one such place. At Ooty I had also discovered them. People offer theories to explain the phenomenon. Installation of cell phone towers is cited as one among the prominent causes behind such disappearance. I don't know how far it is a fact. Sparrows had started vanishing even before the introduction of cell phones. I had earlier written such a nostalgic piece, in prose, published in this blog [link]. Here in Shimla, I have even started observing these birds like an ornithologist. Ha! Ha! My observation is that here there are far too many female sparrows, more than the male members.[I may be corrected]. Even about myna, I find here their peculiar behavioural pattern. They move alone whereas we find them in pairs elsewhere. Anyway, disappearance of birds is definitely a painful phenomenon. This can never be overstated.
_________________________________
The Lost Birds

The birds that bothered me in my childhood
Crapping on my books or chirping close
 Now where have they all gone hiding?
And are they lost for ever for me?

They are gone with the green 

perhaps to recur one day in my dreams
And my longings will take me there 

when everybody else is deep asleep!

Cool breeze is still blowing
to utter those words of sibilant whispers
His nest is ready and the spring is back

And the sweet bird will be back here.
-------------------------

By
A. N. Nanda
Shimla
25-06-2012
--------------------------

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger ssvalli said...

Respected Sir,

Good Morning. I am Soundaravalli, Steno to SPOs., Pollachi Divn. How are you and family Sir? "The Lost Birds" - A splendid poem. Really sparrows are almost lost and it is very difficult to fine one even in railway stations / bus stand etc.since long. We are loosing birds and it is a painful fact.

Regard

SSV

2:51 AM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

Thank you SSV. It's heartening to know that you liked the poem. As for the survival of sparrows, we all should contribute to their survival by leaving some space in our houses for them in the shape of alcoves, skylights, lofts, or even leave some artificial nests (baskets) hanging in our balconies and verandahs. Never mind if they make it dirty; it is going to be their way of returning your love.

Thanks a lot. Keep dropping by my blog.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Vasanthi said...

Sir,
All your stories are super. We always remember the golden days when we worked under you. Hope to meet you soon.

Regards

Vasanthi R.O.Coimbatore

4:31 AM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

Aha! I'm so very happy to be appreciated by you, Vasanthi. You're always welcome.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice old memories sir

9:37 AM  
Blogger The Unadorned said...

Thank you so much. If only you had mentioned your name! I'd love to thank you addressing you.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home